Monday, August 29, 2011

Bible in 90 Days - Day 85 (Hebrews - James 3:12)

Guide us, O God,
by your Word and Spirit,
that in your light we may see light,
in your truth find freedom,
and in your will discover your peace,
through Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen.


I love the book of Hebrews. This is a book about Jesus. All of the books in the Bible are about Jesus, but I think Hebrews probably contains a lot of the things Jesus talked about when he would have conversations like the one in Luke 24:27 (“And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he explained to them what was said in all the Scriptures concerning himself”). Jesus and the angels, Jesus and true Sabbath rest, and my favorite – Jesus the great High Priest. Even though we don’t have a sacrificial system anymore, I love to read the whole Old Testament system in light of these passages in Hebrews. I’ll back up and say that Hebrews is a lens that helps us really see what God is doing in the Old Testament. I think that’s why I love it so much. Hebrews 11 starts the Heroes Hall of Fame, but that hall of fame only makes sense with the foundation of Jesus in 1-9 and the transition to holy living as a response in chapter 10. Then chapter 12 is another call to us for action, but only when we “fix our eyes on Jesus” (12:2ff).

Our best understanding of this James is that he is the brother of Jesus. James was one of the books that really ignited a fire in me when I was young in my faith. We studied it in a Bible study, and I thought, “What have I been missing?” It is also one of the most controversial NT books. Martin Luther didn’t think it even belonged. One big question is, “how does this book which focuses on works make sense in light of the fact that God saves us by grace alone?” A bigger question is, “Where is Jesus?” I think 2:14 is key. Actions don’t make faith, but actions are the fruit of true faith. We are saved by grace through faith and not by works, but works are the fruit that shows the existence of true faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment