Sunday, November 10, 2013

When God is Silent - Praying the Scriptures


Our praying can be enhanced when we pray using words from Scripture. These prayers are from passages that I have held close at difficult and confusing times in life.
***
Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines,
though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food,
though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls,
yet I will rejoice in you, Lord; I will be joyful in you, God my Savior.
You, Sovereign Lord, are my strength; you make my feet like the feet of a deer, you enable me to tread on the heights. (Habakkuk 3:16-19)

My heart is not proud, Lord, my eyes are not haughty;
I do not concern myself with great matters or things too wonderful for me.
But I have calmed and quieted myself, I am like a weaned child with its mother; like a weaned child I am content.
Israel, put your hope in the Lord both now and forevermore. (Psalm 131)

Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God!
How unsearchable your judgments,
and your paths beyond tracing out!
Who has known your mind, Lord? Or who has been your counselor?
Who has ever given to you, God, that you should repay them?
For from you and through you and for you are all things.
To you be the glory forever! Amen. (Romans 11:33-36)

“Naked I came from my mother’s womb,
and naked I will depart. 
The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away;
may the name of the Lord be praised.” (Job 1:21)

No comments:

Post a Comment