Thursday, September 12, 2013

Our Father - singing our prayers

The songs we sing are oftentimes actually prayers put to words, and at other times they are truths that inform our prayers. One of the great things about songs is the way they stick with us and pop into our heads throughout the day. These two songs reflect on God our Father. One is more contemporary, the other more traditional. I've included a couple of youtube links in  case you would like to listen in addition to reading (and there are many more versions of each available). One of these is from last Sunday's worship service.

“He Knows My Name”
Tommy Walker
I have a Maker
He formed my heart
Before even time began
My life was in his hands

He knows my name
He knows my every thought
He sees each tear that falls
And He hears me when I call

I have a Father
He calls me His own
He'll never leave me
No matter where I go

He knows my name
He knows my every thought
He sees each tear that falls
And He hears me when I call

“Children of the Heavenly Father”
(Psalter Hymnal 440)

Children of the heavenly Father
safely in his bosom gather;
nestling bird nor star in heaven
such a refuge e'er was given.

God his own shall tend and nourish;
in his holy courts they flourish.
From all evil powers he spares them;
in his mighty arms he bears them.

Neither life nor death shall ever
from the Lord his children sever;
for to them his grace revealing,
he turns sorrow into healing.

God has given, he has taken,
but his children ne'er forsaken;
his the loving purpose solely
to preserve them pure and holy.

Text: Caroline V. Sandell Berg, 1855; tr. Ernest W. Olson, 1925, alt. Copyright (c) 1978, Board of Publication of the Lutheran Church in America, Augsburg-Fortress Publishers, Minneapolis,  MN 55440

No comments:

Post a Comment