Sunday, July 17, 2011

Bible in 90 Days - Day 42 (Psalms 70-89)

Lord God,
help us to know your ways;
teach us your paths.
Lead us in your truth, and teach us,
for you are the God of our salvation;
for you we wait all day long.
Through Christ, our Lord. Amen.
—based on Psalm 25:4-5

Some of the psalms retell Israel’s history. Now that you have read the whole Old Testament timeline of God’s people over the last 41 days, do you read a psalm like Psalm 74 differently? The enemy cuts through the carved paneling of the Temple, “the dwelling place of [God’s] name.” No prophets are left. No one knows how long this will be. When the call for justice comes, it comes as a call for God to defend his own glory and his covenant! For me this psalm really comes to life in light of all we have just read, and it helps me remember the centrality of God’s glory for my own prayers as well.

Psalm 78 is also greatly enhanced by having just read the stories. This one psalm goes from slavery in Egypt all the way to David. The psalmist is gutsy. How comfortable would you be writing a line like verse 65?

I used to think of Psalm 84 in terms of heaven. Years ago as I was finally reading through the Bible it finally struck me that the psalmist is thinking first of the Temple itself. In light of all we’ve read, can you get the sense of urgency for being in that place where God had chosen for his special presence to dwell? Now it is appropriate for us to read this in light of God’s presence always being with us, but we should not lose the opportunity to try to read it in its original setting.

Whenever I read Psalm 87:6 now I think of baptism. I think this is what God is doing as we baptize with water. He is saying, “This one was born in Zion.” God gives us a new identity and a new citizenship.

Psalm 89 is one of the few laments that doesn’t have a clear declaration of trust or promise for praise. It is a pretty dark lament. If you re-read it, ask yourself if these words could come from a person who has no hope that God really hears and responds. Even the mournful words mirror a sense of hope and trust.

Don’t take this one in the wrong way. Sometimes people get Bible verses or words tattooed on them. I see quite a few Hebrew words and phrases as tattoos (but no Greek – funny.) If I were to pick one verse as a permanent tattoo, it would probably be Psalm 89:14 in Hebrew. Righteousness, justice, love, and faithfulness are pillars of God’s character. Here they are both the foundations of his throne and the heralds that go before him. This verse is 8 words in Hebrew – 4 words in each phrase. Just in case you’re wondering, I’m actually going to try to etch these words in my memory and on my heart rather than on my skin. But if you are looking for a tattoo...

No comments:

Post a Comment