Saturday, July 23, 2011

Bible in 90 Days - Day 48 (Ecclesiastes 3-Song of Solomon)

Lord Christ,
we believe in you.
Help our unbelief. Amen.
—based on Mark 9:24

If you are old enough, you’ll find yourself singing along to the beginning of today’s reading (turn, turn, turn…).

I think I really get hung up on the translation “meaningless.” It seems too empty. The Hebrew word “hebel” is broader than just that. “Vanity” may help somewhat. The NET Bible uses a variety of translations depending on the context, and one of the main ones is “fleeting.” In 8:14 it uses “enigma” – I can grasp that! At the end of 11:8 it uses “obscure.”

Ecclesiastes 12 is a very poetic way to describe the aging process (keepers of the house = hands, grinders = teeth, etc).

Song of Solomon – I really wish I had watched the video speaker for this one! Three of the main interpretations of this book have been that it represents God and Israel, Christ and the Church, or a man and a woman. However we read it, it is very evident that in the proper context God fully intends for men and women to delight physically in each other. I hope you enjoy this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment