Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Bible in 90 Days - Day 45 (Psalm 134-Proverbs 6)

From Psalm 139: 
Search me, O God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts
See if there is any offensive way in me, 
and lead me in the way everlasting.



Psalm 147:10-11 says, “His pleasure is not in the strength of the horse,
nor his delight in the legs of a man;
the Lord delights in those who fear him,
who put their hope in his unfailing love.”
I love this. It is so easy to fall into the trap of thinking that God is pleased by what seems like success. Sometimes we fall into the trap of thinking that success is a sign of God’s pleasure. Why would he be constrained to reward us with something that is not even his main delight? God delights in those who follow him.

Reading lots of proverbs all at once is also an interesting task. After reading the first few verses, I’m eager to dig in again. I read the first seven verses and say, “I want that!”

Proverbs 2:9 says, “Then you will understand what is right and just and fair—every good path.” This is the result of seeking God. Could it be that what is right and just and fair is not self-evident? Could it be that these things are not as easy to figure out on our own as we often assume?

No comments:

Post a Comment